3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2019 4:27 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking unit my grandfather served in

Lottie Beauvais Newbie

My Native American grandfather has a grave marker that reads ARTIF CO 1 21 RECT INFANTRY. What does it mean? He was born in 1877-1950. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking unit my grandfather served in
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Beauvais,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

“Artif” is an abbreviation for “Artificer” which was a special rank once used by the US Army. The artificer was the soldier charged with the maintenance of a military unit's equipment.

“21 RECT INFANTRY” was probably “21 REGT INFANTRY,” which refers to the 21st Infantry Regiment. Regiments were subdivided into battalions and then, into companies with a letter designation.  “CO 1” was probably “CO I,” which is an abbreviation for Company I.

All together, these terms meant that he held the rank of artificer and probably served in Company I, 21st Infantry Regiment.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
              Lottie Beauvais Newbie

Thank you. I don't see documentation on him anywhere. Does that mean he was in the Army?

It also reads Nebraska with a small cross at the top. Plus it only has his first name in English and in Lakota.

Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Beauvais,

Thank you for posting a follow up to your request on History Hub!

The gravemarker indicates that he was enlisted in the United States Army. He also served in a Regular Army unit, as opposed to a state militia or volunteer unit.  “Nebraska” may indicate the state where he was born and/or the state where he resided at the time that he enlisted.

There may be a record of his military service in the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). The location of his service record and the method for requesting it depends on when he was discharged from service.

Service records for Regular Army enlisted men who separated from service between 1789 and October 31, 1912 are in the custody of the National Archives in Washington, DC. To order copies of these records, please fill out a NATF Form 86 and mail it to Archival Operations Washington D.C., Form 86 – Military, National Archives and Records Administration, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20408-0001. You can also place your order online using eservices.archives.gov. For more information, please see Requesting Copies of Older (pre-WWI) Military Service Records. You may also email archives1reference@nara.gov for questions about these records.

Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. There is no option to order these records online.

If you do not know your grandfather’s discharge date, please send requests to both locations using the methods described above. Please fill out the forms to the best of your knowledge. If there are any details you do not know, you may leave them blank, however this may make it more difficult for staff to find the correct file. Please also include in your request any variant names or spellings of names which your grandfather used.

We hope this information is helpful.

3 people found this helpful