1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2019 7:56 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking copies of my medical records

john christy Newbie

Would like copies of medical records. I'm the first heart by-pass with stem cell used to have my heart re-condition to operate on a better heart-beat pattern on feb/10/2010. I need copies for my own bio! Doing my own research on my medical history??

• Re: Seeking copies of my medical records
          Jason Atkinson Tracker

Dear Mr. Christy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Unless you are a military veteran seeking your military medical records, the National Archives is not likely to have your personal medical records.  See our page Veterans' Medical and Health Records for more information about this category of records.

We suggest that you contact the doctor or hospital which performed your operation for information about the disposition and availability of any relevant records. For some generic advice about requesting your own medical records, please see How to Request Your Medical Records from the Journal of the American Health Information Management Association.

If the operation was particularly groundbreaking, there may also be articles in the relevant professional literature, however in order to protect your privacy, standard practice would be to not include your name in such articles. The U.S. National Library of Medicine might be able to assist you in locating journal articles.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!