3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2019 12:03 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking Military Records for Kate Pence Pirkey WWI


      I am Seeking military records for my grandmother, Kate Pence Pirkey.  She has a military headstone which reads:


      Kate Pence Pirkey


      Steno 6   US Army World War I

      Mar 3 1886  -  Oct 26 1973


      Thank you for your help

        • Re: Seeking Military Records for Kate Pence Pirkey WWI
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Kate was most likely a Stenographer and not sur if 6th meant 6th Division?





          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Military Records for Kate Pence Pirkey WWI

            First off, gather as much information as you can about her service. Date/place of birth, dates and places of enlistments, duty stations (the US Census can help with that if he was on active duty during a census year), service number if you have it, rank, etc. The more information you have the easier it is to find the record.


            This is the website you start at - https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

            You can download and print out a Standard Form 180 (SF-180). This is what you will use to request the records. The instructions will tell you where to mail or fax the form for the specific service branches and years of service. To get the SF-180, go to the following website:  https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html


            Fill out the form as requested. I used an addendum sheet of paper to provide pertinent information regarding things such as alternate spelling of his name, the fact that he got married while on active duty so dependency status changed, etc.


            I just did this for two relatives - it took about 6 weeks or so to get the information. If they need additional information above what you provided, you will get a letter requesting that information.


            Hope  this helps!

            1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking Military Records for Kate Pence Pirkey WWI
              Lisha Penn Navigator

              Dear Ms. Stoll,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              If she served in the Army during WWI, we suggest that you request a copy of her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


              If she worked for the U.S. Army as a civilian, we suggest that you request a copy of her Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/civilian-personnel-archival/index.html.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


              1 person found this helpful