3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2019 9:03 AM by Malisa Simco

Seeking military records of LTC Gwyn P Rees

Sian Jarvis Newbie

Help required, please! I am researching my ancestor, Great uncle Gwyn P. Rees (1906-1945) who was stationed at Fort Winfield, San Francisco and near Pasadena. He was buried at the National Memorial of the Pacific. Letters exist at the Bancroft library but as I live in the UK, I haven’t been able to access these. I have written to the Army Personnel Center but they haven’t been able to help citing a fire in 1973. Gwyn worked for the Inspector General Division.

• Re: Seeking military records of LTC Gwyn P Rees
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Sian Jarvis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you obtain your great uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.

Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: the ledgers and the cards.  The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy.  The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication that the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.

We searched Ancestry and located your uncle’s Internment Control Record in January 1945; and a photo of his Grave Site at the National Memorial Cemetery or Find a grave - Gwyn P. Rees. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Also, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search at https://www.familysearch.org/en/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
              Sian Jarvis Newbie

Thank you Lisha, your reply is very helpful.I have today sent in Form NA-13172 to the National Archive. Gwyn was assigned to Battery E 6th Coast Artillery Corps, do you know how to obtain their history record? Many thanks.

Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Sian Jarvis,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338)  and the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) but were unable to locate records of Battery E, 6th Coast Artillery Regiment or Battery E, 6th Coast Artillery Corps or the 6th Coast Artillery Battalion.

According to the WWII Order of Battle by Shelby Stanton, the 6th Coast Artillery Regiment (Harbor Defense) was stationed at Fort Winfield Scott under the Harbor of Defenses of San Francisco and moved to Fort Baker, CA on 29 November 1943. On 18 October 1944, the 1st-4th Battalions were redesignated as the 6th Coast Artillery Battalion, 172nd Coast Artillery Battalion, 173rd Coast Artillery Battalion, and the 174th Coast Artillery Battalion, respectively. The 6th Coast Artillery Battalion remained at Fort Winfield Scott until 15 September 1945.

We located a history of the Harbor Defenses during WWII produced by the U.S. Army Center of Military History that may be helpful.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your research!