1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2019 7:57 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking deck log of USS Pompano (SS-181)

Matt Koval Newbie

Hi, I'm interesting in seeing the 1941-42 ship log of submarine USS Pompano (SS-181), specifically during and after the attack on Pearl Harbor. My grandfather was on this vessel and I'm looking for more detail on the Pompano's role (if any) during the attack on Pearl. From what I understand, it was awaiting permission to enter the base at the time of the attack. Thanks.

Matt

• Re: Seeking deck log of USS Pompano (SS-181)
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Mr. Koval,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck log of the USS Pompano (SS-181) for December 7, 1941. The logs for this date are slightly out of order. The logs for the 7th be found on pages 687, 688 and 690 of the logbook for December 1941.  Pages 689, 691, and several subsequent pages are for December 8. The logs for the 7th report the submarine as being in transit from Mare Island, California, to Pearl Harbor, accompanied by two other US Navy vessels. The only direct reference to the attack is an entry at 0850 stating “Received word that hostilities have commenced with Japan.”  Soon after than there are references to the submarine commencing zig-zagging, a technique used during wartime to make a ship harder to track, and later in the day it briefly submerged because of an unidentified aircraft sighting. The log provides latitude and longitude of the submarine at several times during the day and details about its maneuvers. For access to and/or copies of this log, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!