3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2019 12:45 PM by Sandra Dunlap

    Seeking military service information on Marion Ely Pirkey, MD


      How can I find military service information on my grandfather, Marion Ely Pirkey, MD?  I only know that he was serving in England April 17, 1918.  Thank You

        • Re: Seeking military service information on Marion Ely Pirkey, MD
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Marion E. Pirkey was listed as a Captain located at the #40 Base Hospital MRC.


          Enlistment from 3-31-1918 to 4-18-1919





          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military service information on Marion Ely Pirkey, MD

            Dear Ms. Stoll,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            To seek the military information of your grandfather, we suggest you begin by requesting his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


            We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking military service information on Marion Ely Pirkey, MD

              Carolyn, if you want his complete service record, you can follow this procedure:


              First off, gather as much information as you can about his service. Date/place of birth, dates and places of enlistments, duty stations (the US Census can help with that if he was on active duty during a census year), service number if you have it, rank, etc. The more information you have the easier it is to find the record.


              This is the website you start at - https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

              You can download and print out a Standard Form 180 (SF-180). This is what you will use to request the records. The instructions will tell you where to mail or fax the form for the specific service branches and years of service. To get the SF-180, go to the following website:  https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html


              Fill out the form as requested. I used an addendum sheet of paper to provide pertinent information regarding things such as alternate spelling of his name, the fact that he got married while on active duty so dependency status changed, etc.


              I just did this for two relatives - it took about 6 weeks or so to get the information. If they need additional information above what you provided, you will get a letter requesting that information.


              Hope  this helps!

              2 people found this helpful