7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2019 1:34 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Muster Rolls for Staff of Major General James B McPherson

Michael Maxwell Newbie

I am searching for the FULL name of a Black cook, employed on Staff of Major General McPherson from August 1863 until the General's death in July 1864. This man gained notoriety at Vicksburg when he was the sole survivor of a mine explosion on 1 July 1863, was blown unhurt into Union lines (in front of General John Logan's Division at Third Louisiana Redan). I believe a "General Staff Muster Roll" exists (likely AGO Records 94.2.2 container No.40 or Returns AGO No.45) with this man (First name known to be ABRAHAM) recorded on the list of civilian employees. How do I access the Muster Rolls for Staff of Major General James B. McPherson, any and all, from June 1863 to September 1864?? Must I physically present at National Archives in Washington, DC?

• Re: Seeking Muster Rolls for Staff of Major General James B McPherson
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Maxwell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 22 series that pertain to muster rolls in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 -1917 (Record Group 94) and a series titled Civil War Muster Rolls, 1863 - 1865 in the Records of the Provost Marshal General's Bureau (Civil War) (Record Group 110). One of these series may contain information about the black cook who worked on Major General James B. McPherson’s staff. Some records are digitized and available in the Catalog but not all. For access to and/or copies of the undigitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We suggest that you search the National Park Service’s Vicksburg National Military Park; Battle of Vicksburg Facts; and James B. McPherson.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
            Michael Maxwell Newbie

Thank You, Lisha Penn for your recommendations. I have looked at the NPS sites (which confirm "Abraham" and the date of the mine explosion of 1 July 1863) and looked at the online records [no match.] My latest query has been sent directly to NARA requesting access to AGO 94.2.2 File Boxes 38 - 46 (and how one goes about getting access to the documents contained therein.) Once I get satisfaction from NARA, I intend to mark my History Hub query as ANSWERED.

Thank You, again, for your interest and suggestions.

All the best

Mike Maxwell

Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Maxwell,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

Please note that 94.2.2 is a paragraph number in the Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives, not a particular series of records:

Manuscript and printed orders, 1792-1910 (315 ft.), including general, special, and field orders and circulars, with indexes, of the War Department; of armies, brigades, divisions, and corps; and of military divisions, departments, districts, and posts. Muster rolls of regular army organizations, 1784-1912 (1,278 ft.). Muster rolls of volunteer organizations, 1784-1901 (5,270 ft.), documenting service in war with the Northwest Indians (1790-95), Creek War (1813-14), other Indian wars (1811-58), Cherokee Removal (1835-38), War of 1812 (1812- 15), Mexican War (1846-48), Civil War (1861-65), Spanish-American War (1898), and Philippine Insurrection (1899-1901). Returns, 1790-1916 (1,575 ft.), of departments; territorial divisions, departments, and districts; military posts; and army commands in War of 1812, Mexican War, and Civil War. Station books, 1861- 1915, of troops, regular army officers and organizations, and volunteer officers. Strength reports of regular army and volunteer forces, 1890-1917.

Microfilm Publications: M29, M617, M654, M665, M690, M691, M727, M728, M744, M851, M852, M1094, T1085, T1114, T1115.”

We searched RG 94 and located the 22 series of records that are referred to in the Catalog for muster rolls.

We hope this is helpful.

3 people found this helpful
                Michael Maxwell Newbie

Thank You, Lisha Penn for your MOST Helpful information. Now that it is revealed the Muster Rolls are recorded on Microfiche, how does one determine WHICH Roll (or rolls) to request? A friend in California is willing to drive to the NARA Regional Center in San Francisco, if detailed access information and process of access is available (and some guidance provided on HOW to pose a Query.)

Kindest Regards

Mike Maxwell

Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Maxwell,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We are unable to identify a specific microfilm roll that may contain the information that you are seeking. We suggest that you should look through the 22 series in the Catalog first and then check the microfilm publication for each one. Please see NARA’s Microfilm Publications and Original Records Digitized by partners for the M and T microfilm publications (M29, M617, M654, M665, M690, M691, M727, M728, M744, M851, M852, M1094, T1085, T1114, T1115) or check the NARA Microfilm Catalog for either the descriptive pamphlets and/or roll lists for each one.

We hope this is helpful.

2 people found this helpful
                        Michael Maxwell Newbie

This suggestion to "check the 22 Series" along with the two NARA references you provide I find potentially of great assistance, and I will scrutinize those thoroughly over the coming days, from my computer in Australia.

Just a final set of questions: once it is determined that the record of the cook, Abraham, is likely in one particular box of records held by NARA, is it possible to get access to that entire box at Washington D.C.? If I hire an Archives researcher, can THEY get access to that box of records? Although the Muster Roll or Payroll record I am in hope of discovering, bearing Abraham's full name, may be with records pertaining to General McPherson, that record may also be filed with a member of McPherson's Staff (AAG William E. Strong, or the QM or the Paymaster on McPherson's Staff -- hence, I would need to investigate their records; and would not be surprised to find those records to be in the same box.)

Upon review of my "Guide to the Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States, Vol.1" the Record Group 22 relates to the Bureau of Fisheries. I fail to see how this helps my search for a Civil War Muster Roll or Payroll record. Please explain.

Once again, thank you for persisting, and assisting with my long-winded query. Your responses to date have been of invaluable benefit.