3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2022 8:22 PM by Theron Snell Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking possible Naturalization records for ancestors


      My great grandparents came over from Poland one about 1908 and the other about 1910.  They married in NJ.  I have not been able to tell for certain whether or not they ever became naturalized citizens or remained aliens.  Is there someplace I can search to see if there are records to tell me one way or the other?  Because the names are continually spelled differently, I'm not sure if I'm missing records due to not finding the correct spelling or there just aren't any to find.  I don't have exact birth dates or birth places to help.

        • Re: Seeking possible Naturalization records for ancestors
          Lisha Penn Ranger

          Dear Ms. Havey,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Because your great grandparents resided in New Jersey, we suggest that you contact the staff at the National Archives at New York via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov to have them perform a search through the naturalization records they maintain from the Federal courts in that area. Please be sure to provide all known name variants in your request to allow for a successful search.


          We also suggest that you review NARA’s website for tips on how to begin your genealogical research; and Census Resources for how to access census records that may are digitized in the National Archives Catalog or available on our partners’ websites as well as how to view them for free at a NARA facility. NARA has census schedules on microfilm dating from 1790 to 1930 but data from recent censuses are not available after 1940 due to the 72-year restriction on access to the Census. Most researchers find it helpful to begin with the 1940 Census and work backwards to locate people in earlier generations. There is a citizenship column on each census starting in 1900 that can provide clues to an individual’s citizenship status within the U.S.  An “AL” indicates alien status, “PA” indicates that the naturalization process was started, and “NA” indicates that citizenship was obtained. 


          You may use Ancestry to access Census records and other digitized records. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Also, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search at https://www.familysearch.org/en/.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          [Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking possible Naturalization records for ancestors
            Henry Rosenberg Pioneer

            You could also check census documents up to 1940. It usually states whether they are naturalized or not. 1950 census will not be released until 2022.

            • Re: Seeking possible Naturalization records for ancestors
              Theron Snell Wayfarer

              Ancestry has better indexing than NARA but you will have to join.  Worth it since the last I knew, NARA is closed for business.