3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2019 9:15 AM by malisasimco

Seeking Marriage certificate of Jack Roberts Vargason

I am looking for marriage information and child information on my dad, Jack Roberts Vargason, from the Korean War. I believe there is family in Korea still and since his passing would like to find them. Since I just found out there is a part of my family that needs to be found. Thank you for any help

• Re: Seeking Marriage certificate of Jack Roberts Vargason
          Scout

Dear Ms. Najarian,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For records relating to marriages after 1949 of American citizens in a foreign country, please contact the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful

Thank you for your information regarding the marriage from her after 1949. My stepfather was married by somewhere between 1944 and 1946. He was discharged May 27, 1946 and he has a Naval Service Number of US 601-8041. Can I still use the information that you gave me as far as looking for information for marriage after 1949? If not, do you know where I would be able to get it?

Scout

Dear Ms. Najarian,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series of the Office of Consular Affairs. Passport Division Decimal Files, 1910 - 1949 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that consists of correspondence, memoranda, despatches, telegrams, airgrams, and reports relating to citizenship matters. Included are records relating to marriage of American citizens abroad (including reports of marriage abroad), registration abroad, and administration of the passport issuance process. The digitized images of the files are not available yet in the Catalog

The Consular Reports of Marriage from this series (boxes 470-538) have been digitized and made available online by NARA’s partner, Ancestry.com, for a fee. Instead, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!