2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2019 9:02 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking Navy service of Linus Frederick Upson (SR)?


      My grandfather joined the US Navy in Boston in 1895/6 as an Apprentice and left active duty --- after several breaks --- in 1943.  When he died in Tampa, FL, in 1961 I've been told he was the last living Navy Apprentice.  Is that true?


      Also I'd like to file in some gaps in the family history.  We know he served in the Spanish-American War, The circumglobal Great White Fleet, WWI and US Navy operations in the Caribbean during the US portion of the Panama Canal construction.   He retired but was recalled back in 1942 or so to teach seamanship at Jacksonville, FL.

        • Re: Seeking Navy service of Linus Frederick Upson (SR)?

          Hello Linus - I just did the same sort of research and obtained both my grandfather's and my great grand uncle's records from 1906-1926 from the National Personnel Records Center archives section.


          Begin you search here at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records.

          Gather as much information as you can on their dates of service, enlistment date, duty stations, etc. and complete the form. I attached an addendum for information that did not fit on the form. Within about 6 weeks or so, I had 200 pages of my uncle's record and 100 pages of my grandfather's record (he only spent 10 years in, the uncle was in for 19 years)


          I hope this helps!


          Sandi Dunlap

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Navy service of Linus Frederick Upson (SR)?
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Mr. Upson,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you obtain your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1955 are located at NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful