1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2019 11:39 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking Cherokee records of Parish Rivers Thaxton

Donna Thaxton Newbie

My grandfather was Parish Rivers Thaxton, 50% Cherokee on his mother's side. I would like more information on his Cherokee lineage. He lived in Oak Grover, LA.  His sons were Henry Don, Parish Rivers Jr. known as Bill, and another brother in California I can't remember the name of.  His first wife was an Odom of the Robert E Lee descendants in north Louisiana and most of us had Lee as our middle name.  I believe I am 1/8th Cherokee, born in Bastrop, LA in 1950 of Henry Don and Mary Yvonne Thaxton.  Does anyone have more or what direction to go in?

• Re: Seeking Cherokee records of Parish Rivers Thaxton
          Lisha Penn Tracker

Dear Ms. Thaxton,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Cherokee have not had a major presence in Louisiana throughout American history; and the four Federally recognized tribes in the state are not Cherokee. You may wish to search outside the state in order to trace your lineage such as with the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma, which was the closest in proximity to Louisiana.

We suggest that you review the National Archives website American Indian Records in the National Archives and Researching an Individual or Family for background information and tips on how to determine the tribe that your relative may have been a member of and to ascertain the records that might be useful to your research. There is an all encompassing resource for Native American individuals which are found among the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75). These records are organized by tribal nation. Once you determine the state where your relatives may have lived via other sources, then you should be able to look at nearby tribes and bands. Please note that many American Indians who left reservations will not be captured in Federal records which would make identifying tribal affiliations even more difficult.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]