5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2019 8:23 PM by Russ Barcomb

Looking for marriage certifcate for Joseph Barcomb & Medrisa Gebo

Russ Barcomb Newbie

I am looking for the marriage certificate or license number 22303 which was issued in Rouses Point, NY around 13 Sept 1902 for Joseph J Barcomb and Medrisa Gebo

• Re: Looking for marriage certifcate for Joseph Barcomb & Medrisa Gebo
          Keith Northington Wayfarer

Do you have a date of birth and a place of birth for Joseph and Medrisa/Mederisa?

Lisha Penn Tracker

Dear Mr. Barcomb,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched Ancestry and located Joseph Barcomb on the New York Marriage Index (right column, third from the bottom). There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Also, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search at https://www.familysearch.org/en/.

You may also contact the State of New York Department of Health for vital records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful

10-28-2019

Unfortunately, I could not find a marriage record for Joseph Barcomb Sr. on familysearch.org.

The record mentioned in the reply above actually refers to Joseph J. Barcomb Jr. and his marriage on June 22, 1926 to Maria Geroux, daughter of Fred Geroux.  The only reason that Joseph Barcomb Sr's name and Mederisa Gebo's name appears on the document is as the groom's parents.

There is a historian in Rouses Point, NY at phone number (518) 297-5502 whom you can contact for more information and you may also want to consider contacting The Town Clerk of Clinton in Churubusco, NY 12923 at (518) 497-6133 to see if someone there can advise you.

The fact that you have the marriage certificate number or license number is a very strong indication that this document will be available.  Where did you find that information?

**************************************************************************************************

After further research, I did find the same record that you found that the marriage occurred on Sept. 13, 1902.

The marriage certificate can be ordered for a $30.00 fee by mail from the State of New York Department of Health for Vital Records, whose link you were correctly referred to in the previous reply.  However, access is restricted and there is slow processing time.  You need to produce a court order that gives you permission to order it or explain the reason you want to order the document if there is a beneficial need, such as needing it to claim a benefit, inheritance, etc.  A family law attorney in Clinton County may be able to assist you in getting the court order if you want to get that.

Please mention the reason that you wanted the marriage certificate since there may be other ways or other sources that can be checked to get the information you may be looking for.

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Russ Barcomb Newbie

Thank you Lisda and Keith.  I have an Ancestry account which is where I found the certificate number.  I will try to contact the county for a copy of the original.  This couple is my great grand father and mother.  Gebo was the English translation of Geroux.  Also seen it spelled Giroux.

Joseph J Barcomb died in 1911 but it appears Medrisa (also called Mae), then married Joseph's brother Jacob in 1911. 

Joseph Jacob Barcomb was born 14 Aug 1876 in Rouse Point, NY.  Medrisa Gebo or Geroux was born 3 Apr, 1883 in Canada.  Probably near Quebec.

Thank You

Russ Barcomb