1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 13, 2019 4:10 PM by Legislative Archives

Where can I find a 1883-1885 senate appointment for a person who managed the Senate bar?

familylost Newbie

Republican Senator George F. Edmunds of Vermont appointed Richard Francis to take charge of the bar in the Senate restaurant. Senator Edmunds President of the U.S. Senate at the time.

• Re: Where can I find a 1883-1885 senate appointment for a person who managed the Senate bar?
          Legislative Archives Adventurer

Hi Yvonne -- thank you for posting to the History Hub!

The Center for Legislative Archives, a unit within the National Archives, holds the official records of congressional committees, and the records of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate as a whole.

I searched our holdings in the National Archives Catalog and see some records from the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration pertaining to the administration of the Senate restaurant. However, there is nothing as early as 1883 to 1885 (the 48th and 49th Congresses).

I also searched ProQuest Congressional, a subscription database with the full text of the published reports and documents of U.S. Congress, and the Congressional Record, the official record of proceedings and debate on the floor of the House and Senate -- and unfortunately I found nothing on the appointment of Richard Francis.

Outside of our holdings, I did find two interesting resources on the topic:

One last thought is to look into the personal papers of Senator Edmunds. The best way to locate personal paper collections is through the BioGuide. The entry for Senator Edmunds will list relevant research collections.

Cheers!

Sarah

2 people found this helpful