2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2020 1:46 PM by Brittany Roadcap

Seeking records of 9th Infantry Regiment, Company B

Daryl Melvin Newbie

Looking for information on my dad's unit in WWII -- Company B, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. He landed at Omaha beach injured near St Lo, France on August 3 1944 and was wounded August 4, 1944 in LaGrossetiere, France.  Any help appreciated. Particularly interested in any regimental pictures of his unit.

• Re: Seeking records of 9th Infantry Regiment, Company B
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Melvin,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office (Record Group 407) and located a pictorial history of the 9th Infantry Regiment for 1798 to November 1947 but most of the photographs are from WWII. We also locate an after action report of the 9th for August 1944 that may be of interest. These records are not digitized in the Catalog. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Also, photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of 9th Infantry Regiment, Company B
            Brittany Roadcap Newbie

Hi Daryl,

My grandfather was also a part of Company B, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division!

He arrived in Europe (rough estimate) in November of 1944. He participated in the Battle of The Bulge, and I know he received a purple heart. He remained over there until about May/June of 1945. That's essentially all I know.

I am actively searching for information and photos from his time served. If you have any helpful information for me that you are willing to share, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Brittany R