2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2019 3:19 AM by Patricia Abbott

Seeking names of Commanding General for Aberdeen Proving Ground

Patricia Abbott Newbie

I have several photographs of my mother receiving awards from the Commanding General at Aberdeen Proving Ground (in Aberdeen, Maryland) with dates of 1955.-1957.  She was the Commanding General's secretary for several years in the 1950's.  I would like to label these pictures for "future generations".  Does anyone have any information on how to find out the commanding general names for the 1950's period at APG?  I have looked everywhere to no avail.

• Re: Seeking names of Commanding General for Aberdeen Proving Ground
          Jason Atkinson Tracker

Dear Ms. Abbott,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Official Registers of the United States for 1955 through 1957. These were annual publications of the U.S. Civil Service Commission that listed senior military and civilian officials of the federal government. For these years, the information listed was as of May 1 of the given calendar year. The Registers for 1955 and 1956 list Major General Jonathan L. Holman as Commanding General, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. The Register for 1957 lists Maj. Gen. Carroll H. Deitrick in this position.

We also searched online and located Quarters One, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, published by the Department of the Army in 1987, which provides a history of the historic residence which was the home of the senior officer on the Proving Ground. This book includes pictures of many of the officers who occupied it, to include Major General Holman, listed as being the Commanding General, Aberdeen Proving Ground from 11 July 1952 through 30 June 1956, as well as Major General Deitrick, who is listed as being the commanding general from 30 June 1956 through 30 April 1958.

You may be interested in our page on How to Preserve Family Archives (papers and photographs).  You may also be interested in requesting copies of your mother’s Official Personnel Folder for her work as a federal employee.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking names of Commanding General for Aberdeen Proving Ground
              Patricia Abbott Newbie

Thanks so very much for this terrific information. None of the pictures of those generals look familiar nor do they match the pictures I have, so I spoke to my sister who said that my mother worked for a "tenant" organization which was a new concept for me. Apparently the ballistics research lab (BRL) was one such organization and I believe that the Command Staff there was different set of major generals.

Thanks for the information on how to get personnel files. That is going to be my next path of search. Great leads and thanks again.