John Mahlon Carder was born October 1822 according to the 1900 census for Logan County, Ohio. On the 1850 census in Greene County, Ohio were John, Elis. (probable mother), Joseph (proven brother, married Elizabeth Shull), Caroline (proven 2nd wife, maiden name: Morris), Amanda Moris (Caroline's sister), Stephen (probable brother), & Nancy Ann (proven sister, married Mercer Beason). John also had 2 married sisters, Adaline Carder who married Thomas Steen and Susan who married Moses Steen.
John married Eliza Jane Dobbins after Caroline's death. John died in 1901 in Logan County, Ohio. All of his siblings died prior to his death. All died before Ohio had death records.
I have been researching for 22 years and still not been able to learn who John's parents were. I have lots of records on them but none linking to the parents.
Dates for John & siblings & spouses & probable mother are:
- John Mahlon/Malin Carder Oct. 1822, Culpeper County, VA-8 November 1901, Degraff, Logan Co., OH Co I. 71st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
- Elis.Carder maiden name unknown, may have remarried abt. 1803, VA-death unknown but probably in Ohio, possibly Greene County
- Joseph Carder 1828, VA- Bef 25 March 1857, probably Greene County, OH
- Elizabeth Shull remarried David Collier 15 November 1831, OH-31 May 1910, Springfield, Clark Co., OH
- Adaline Carder between 1830& 1834, VA-12 June 1874, Conover, Brown Township, Miami County, Ohio
- Thomas Steen abt. 1823, Indiana-1 May 1892, Hardin County, Ohio
- Susan M. Carder aft. 1831, VA-between 1850-1855, Greene County, Ohio (most likely died in 1850 when daughter was born)
- Moses Steen 1831, Greene County, OH-5 June 1862, Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio Co I. 71st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, died from illness contracted during Battle of Shiloh married Mary E. Dobbins, sister of Eliza Jane Dobbins aftr dwath of Susan M. Carder
- Stephen Carder 1838, OH-death unknown
- Nancy Ann Carder 1842, OH-Abt 15 March 1865, Greene County, Ohio
- Mercer Beason 1835, Xenia, Greene County, Ohio-27 May 1892, Christiansburg, Jackson Township, Champaign County, Ohio
remarried after Nancy's death to Mary E. Dobbins Steen Co. C, 74th Ohio Infantry
- Elizabeth Steen 1st wife of John Mahlon Carder abt. 1825-abt. 1848, Greene County, OH Elizabeth, Thomas, & Moses were siblings, most likely children of Moses Steen the War of 1812 veteran & 1st wife
- Eliza Jane Dobbins 3rd & last wife of John Mahlon Carder & my gg grandmother 17 August 1828 or 1830-1832-17 September 1911, Degraff, Logan Co., OH
A couple other clues:
- John's family came to Ohio in the mid-1830s & seem to have followed same trail as the descendants of William & Sarah Carder who died in Fayette County, Ohio.
- Some of John's children's death certificates state John's place of birth as Harrison Co., VA so may have lived there before coming to Ohio or at least be related to the Carders there.
- John himself gave Culpeper County as his birth place on his Civil War enlistment paper.
Mahlon or Malin is a common middle name in this family for at least 3 generations but I have not been able to find an ancestor with the surname Malin but it's a possibility. Malin is a common Quaker name
Please help me find John's parents. Thank you.