6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2019 4:20 AM by Tabea Reimitz

Seeking personal "emigration letters"

Tabea Reimitz Newbie

Hi everyone!

My name is Tabea and I'm studying in the Master's programme "Linguistic and Literary Computing" at the Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany.

I am very interested in the phenomenon of migration, especially emigration, and how it is/was experienced by people.Therefore, I would like to create a dataset for my master thesis project that consists of so-called emigration letters, i.e. letters sent by people who emigrated to the USA, for example, back to their friends and relatives at home. In order to be able to work with such a dataset from a corpus linguistic point of view, I need these letters in a machine-readable format (e.g. as .txt files). Alternatively, an online access to the data could also work.

Therefore, I would like to create a data set for my master thesis project that consists of so-called emigration letters, i.e. letters sent by people who emigrated to the USA, for example, back to their friends and relatives at home. In order to be able to work with such a dataset from a corpus linguistic point of view, I need these letters in a machine-readable format (e.g. as .txt files). Alternatively, an online access to the data could also work.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

My idea is partly based on Dr Moreton's Digitising experiences of migration project and I have already contacted her, but unfortunately the data that she used for her project is not freely available. I also tried to contact the Irish Emigration Database, but haven't received an answer yet. It seems almost impossible to get access to this form of text data, so I would be very grateful for any tips and hints on where else to look or whome else to contact.

Thanks in advance for your help