1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2019 12:53 PM by Malisa Simco

    Seeking military records of James Burks


      I am looking for military records for James Burks, during 1940-1947, from Ruston, Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, and husband of Rutha Mae Lewis. Where is the best source of information, for free searching?  Thanks for your help.

        • Re: Seeking military records of James Burks

          Dear Ms. Thornton,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest searching for James Burks’ military records during WWII and after using the Louisiana Online Genealogy Records via FamilySearch.


          Additionally, you may wish to request his Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful