2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2019 8:16 PM by Jason Willis

Should Navy OMPF consist of more than two DD-214s?

Jason Willis Newbie

Hello all,

I requested my uncles Navy military records on behalf of my mother, who is his next of kin, through the eVetRecs online form. She then wrote and signed a request and I faxed it to the number as requested for US Navy military records during WWII. The only thing we received were his two DD 214 forms. Am I suppose to use this form to request his records? Or is this all the archives of the Navy have of him? If I am to use his DD 214 form to receive his records, please let me know where I can make my request.

Through talking with my uncle when he was alive, I know he served on a Minesweeper, (YMS-392) attached to Task Unit 78.2.9 from May - August during the Balikpapan and Borneo landings. He received four medals and his unit received a presidential citation. His name is Shofner Meadows. Sometimes it is spelled Shoffner. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

• Re: Should Navy OMPF consist of more than two DD-214s?
          Holly Rivet Scout

Dear Mr. Willis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

There may have been an error on eVetRecs.  We recommend contacting the National Personnel Center Records Center by their hotline at 314-801-0800.  Please note that their peak hours are 10:00am and 3:00pm CST. Have the letter you received along with the DD-214 documents readily available.  This will contain the case number they will require to investigate and reopen your request. It is a long number beginning with 2-2xxx…. 

Alternatively, you may resubmit your request by sending in a paper copy of the SF-180 form to the address associated with the period of your uncles military service listed on page three. 

In addition, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of the YMS-392 for 2 June 1944 to 6 June 1946. For access to and/or copies of these logs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

2 people found this helpful