1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 8, 2019 4:15 PM by Malisa Simco

    Seeking information on brother that served in Vietnam War


      Hi!  I am trying to find out information about my brother, Ernest V. Bright. He was born in 1947 in Florida. He was in the Army back in 1964-1965 during the Vietnam War and was living in Florida when he joined. I would like to know his ranking at the time. I think he was a Private 1st Class but not sure. He is deceased now so I can not ask him what it was. I am wanting to put it in our family history section. Please and thank you.

        • Re: Seeking information on brother that served in Vietnam War

          Dear Ms. Brightdouglas,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To seek service information on your brother, Ernest V. Bright, we suggest requesting a copy of  his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1957 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. 


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!