2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2019 10:26 AM by Malisa Simco Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking father's service number & enlistment records


      Seeking father's service number & enlistment records. I would love to have my Daddy's he passed a few years ago and we were so close.

        • Re: Seeking father's service number & enlistment records
          joan stachnik Tracker

          Jill, depending on when your father served in the military, his enlistment and service number might be available in the National Archives' online database (https://aad.archives.gov/aad/index.jsp). Although not all enlistments are in the database, it would be a good place to start. You can also put in a request for his service records, if available, from the St. Louis Archives. The St. Louis Archives webpage has information on how to request records. And if you want to share more information about your dad on this forum (eg, name, DOB, city, years of service, branch), others here may be able to help with information. Hope this is of help to you. joan

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking father's service number & enlistment records

            Dear Ms. States,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Your father’s service number should be listed in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. To request a copy of his OMPF, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


            World War II Army Enlistment Records are in the custody of the Electronic Records Division (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/.  Click on "World War II" under the category section. A list of the databases relating to WWII will appear and select the first database to search the WWII Army Enlistment Records.


            Also you may request a copy of his Selective Service Records. Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: ledgers and cards.  The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy.  The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication that the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            1 person found this helpful