2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2019 2:50 PM by Henry Rosenberg

Seeking information on Cozy Douglas Hollaway Jr. & Jodie Hollaway

DEREK HOLLAWAY Newbie

I'm seeking information on the following two World War 2 Veterans: Cozy Douglas Hollaway Jr. and Jodie Hollaway. My grandfather, Cozy Douglas Hollaway was a World War 2 veteran.  He served in the Merchant Marines.  However, before he caught dementia, I asked him about his service, and that is the only information I got from him about his military service. My great-uncle Jodie Hollaway, also served during World War 2, however the only information that I have about his service was that he served in the army.

I was surprised when I went to New Orleans, Louisiana, to find the National World War II museum.  I really enjoyed my visit there.  I would like to know more about my family history during that time, so I'm starting by searching for more information.

• Re: Seeking information on Cozy Douglas Hollaway Jr. & Jodie Hollaway
          Lisha Penn Scout

Dear Mr. Hollaway,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To seek the military records of Cozy Douglas Hollaway, Jr., and Jodie Holloway, please begin by requesting their Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.

Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: the ledgers and the cards. The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy. The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.

We searched Ancestry and located World War II Draft Registration Cards for your grandfather Cozy Douglas Hollaway, Jr and your great-uncle Jodie Hollaway for you to review. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information on Cozy Douglas Hollaway Jr. & Jodie Hollaway
            Henry Rosenberg Scout

This site has military records. You may have to pay to join though.

https://www.fold3.com/