2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2019 1:25 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking Father's Enlistment Information


      I apologize for the prologue to my question. My father (deceased) enlisted in the Army towards the end of WWII, using his dead brother’s baptism certificate. This information I have always known, and have found evidence of it through my amateur  Ancestry research. What was never discussed was whether my father ever registered for the draft afterwards, or if he was discharged under his own name, or if it was ever resolved. Where would I even go to begin a search for this information please? Much appreciate your time.

        • Re: Seeking Father's Enlistment Information
          joan stachnik Tracker

          Hi Carolyn, if you haven't already, you might want to check Familysearch.org. It's a free service after registration and has some WWII draft registration cards, as well as some enlistment records. Fold3.com has similar records (possibly more extensive) but it requires a subscription. Hope this is of some help. joan

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Father's Enlistment Information
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Timmerman,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            World War II Army Enlistment Records are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/. Click on “World War II” under the category section. A list of the databases relating to WWII will appear and select the first database to search the WWII Army Enlistment Records.


            Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: the ledgers and the cards. The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy. The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            2 people found this helpful