1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2019 8:59 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking Revolutionary War Commission for French officer


      My ancestor was among the French officers who came to America at the beginning of the Revolution to fight for America.   He was given a Captain's commission by General Horatio Gates in September or October of 1776.  There is mention of it in the records of the Continental Congress.  Where can I find a copy of Gate's records that show the commission?  The French officer's name as presented to the Continental Congress and General Gates was Louis Jean Baptiste Chambaron, Chevalier de/D'Antignac.  Later in life, he simplified his name to Jean/John D'Antignac.  His wife's widow's pension application is in the latter name.  If not in Gates' records, would there be a more extensive record of it in the Board of War records?  Thank you for your time.

      Brenda Austin Mason