1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2019 9:50 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking Inpatient medical records from 616th Medical Center


      I am trying to locate all the inpatient medical records from the 616th Medical Center when it was based in S. Vietnam.  The time frame i'm looking for is 6/1/1967 through 7/31/1967. My father was treated there for wounds received during combat operations and never received a purple heart.  My fathers name is Charles E. Marshall and was with D Co. 1st 12th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Div (Airmobile)

        • Re: Seeking Inpatient medical records from 616th Medical Center
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Marshall,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a file unit titled 1960-1969: USARV [United States Army Vietnam] - 616th Medical Company in the series titled Medical Unit Annual Reports, 1950 - 1969 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) but the records did not contain inpatient medical records. Any information about your father’s treatment would be included in his medical records.


          OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’;s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


          We also searched the Catalog and located 83 series pertaining to the 1st Cavalry Division and file units of the 1st/12th Cavalry (see boxes 324-338) in the Cavalry Unit Records, ca. 1965 - ca. 1973 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950 - 1976 (Record Group 472). For access to and /or copies of these unit records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. The unit records will provide information about the unit but not about specific men that served in the unit.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful