1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2019 9:13 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking correct dates of birth & death of great uncle

Yvette roque Newbie

I am looking for information on my great uncle, Benito La Chappa. His father was Pedro La Chappa and mother was Carmalita Nejo from Campo Indian Reservation. I believe he was born in 1923 and died 1931. He needs a headstone.

• Re: Seeking correct dates of birth & death of great uncle
          Lisha Penn Scout

Dear Ms. Roque,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The records for the local Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) agencies that administered those tribes are in the custody of the National Archives at Riverside (RW-RS). There may be some information in the general administrative or decimal files for that era found among the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RW-RS via email riverside.archives@nara.gov.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Indian Census Rolls, 1910-1929 in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75). These records are not yet digitized but are available on Ancestry.

On Ancestry, we located Benito La Chappa on Indian Census at age 5; and also a possible California Death Index for him although the birth year is one year later and the surname is spelled differently. We were unable to locate additional records for a child with this differently spelled surname was located. It is important to keep in mind that name variants are common when conducting genealogical research.

There may be a fee for using Ancestry. However, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Also, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search at https://www.familysearch.org/en/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Some information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful