2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 1:13 PM by Richard Beck

    Where are Navy Mishap Investigation Reports?


      Where can I find Navy Mishap Investigation Reports (Aircraft Accidents) prior to 1955?  Looking for photos of a specific accident, believe date is 08/28/1951 aboard USS MIDWAY (CVB-41), F4U Corsair BuNo 122005.


      Another website states the following, but I was not able to find the process in this link: "the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) holds the full investigatory records (prior to 1955) in their facility at College Park, MD.  Contact information for this agency can be found on their website at http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/.  "

        • Re: Where are Navy Mishap Investigation Reports?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Beck,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of aircraft

          accident reports for the World War II period among the general correspondence of the Records of the Bureau of Aeronautics (Record Group 72). Aircraft accident reports provide information about accidental losses of Navy aircraft; they do not usually include information about losses of aircraft as a result of Navy war operations or combat engagement. To request a copy of any existing records, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2processing@nara.gov. Please provide the complete Navy aircraft model number (e.g. F4U-1A, PB4Y, SNV-1) and the date it was lost and/or the date it was reported lost. Also provide the geographic location of the loss if possible.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful