1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2019 9:08 AM by Malisa Simco

Looking for contracts between the US military and beverage companies pre-1970

When I use the general archive search bar for beverage-related records and/or contracts, only FDA-related documents come up. However, my research focus is on the contractual language in government contracts with beverage producers from WWII through Vietnam. Anyone have any ideas on where I could start looking?

Any help would be much appreciated!

• Re: Looking for contracts between the US military and beverage companies pre-1970
          Malisa Simco Scout

Dear Ms. Topolosky,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

According to Army disposition schedules, contracts prior to November 1966 were systematically destroyed by the Army once their administrative use ended.  The National Archives has custody of correspondence between contractors and Army ordnance or quartermaster units, especially if there was a problem during production or with the contract.  They rarely include copies of the contract as an enclosure or specific information concerning the contractor. Records of private contractors remained in the custody of the contractor. Please contact that company or corporation for access to these records.

Information regarding Department Of Defense (DOD) contracts dated after October 1966 is available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/. The two databases are the Military Prime Contract Files (MPCF) for FY 1966-FY 1975 and the Defense Contract Action Data System (DCADS) for FY 1976-FY 1990. Click on "contracts" under the category section. A list of the databases will appear and select the database for the time period of interest. 

We hope this is helpful for you. Best of luck with your research!