1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2019 10:28 AM by Sylvia Naylor

    Seeking grandfather service information


      I am seeking information about my grandfather's service during the Mexican Punitive campaign against Poncho Villa

        • Re: Seeking grandfather service information
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Ms. Schneider,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


          We suggest that you begin your research by requesting your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          Also, there are various resources available online at the National Archives and the U.S. Army Center of Military History that may provide information relevant to your research.


          We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!. 


          1 person found this helpful