1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2019 10:27 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking Japanese POW names from ATIS Report

The ATIS (Allied Translator and Interrogation Service) was a WWII unit translating Japanese documents and interrogating Japanese POW's in Allied hands. I am researching three Japanese taken prisoner in Dutch New Guinea early August 1944. I found the three interrogation reports in the ATIS files, but unfortunately these give no names for the POW's but only numbers.

I assume there is a list of numbers to names somewhere in the Allied (American) archives? The ATIS was an international operation (US, Australian, British, New Zealand and Dutch), but the translators were mainly Nissei American-Japanese so I expect the main files to be in US archives. Has anyone a clue where to look for these?

• Re: Seeking Japanese POW names from ATIS Report
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Mr. Kreuger,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog for any records related to your inquiry.  The results of the search can be viewed here and here.

In addition, we suggest you review a finding aid titled “Japanese War Crimes and Related Topics: A Guide to Records at the National Archives” compiled by Dr. Greg Bradsher and available to download as a PDF file at https://www.archives.gov/iwg/japanese-war-crimes as it may contain information relevant to your research.   For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful