1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 6:58 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Help finding WWI Service Records


      I have the following information about a WWI Veteran who may have been my grandfather—name: Fred Chubatei serial number: 3447148 Rank: PVT 1cl MD Unit/Organization: Camp Hospital #45 ; Fort Riley Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47. Is there anyway for me to find his service records?

        • Re: Help finding WWI Service Records
          Rebecca Collier Guide

          Dear Mr. McDonald,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Camp Hospitals. 1917-1919 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes Camp Hospital #45. We were unable to locate records of the Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47. We also searched the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) and the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) but unable to locate records of the Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47.


          If you haven’t already, we suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          3 people found this helpful