4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 5:11 PM by Alan Jackson

    Seeking service record for Henry Olin Jackson


      Looking for the service record for Henry Olin Jackson who served in the 101st Engineers during WWI. H.O. Jackson was my grandfather and we do not know a great deal about his service record. It is possible he may have received a battlefield commission.

        • Re: Seeking service record for Henry Olin Jackson
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Was able to find this information on Henry Jackson, you may also want to see unit history or any request Army officer pay records for that time period.


          Henry O. Jackson

          Gender: Male

          Departure Date: 27 Mar 1919

          Departure Place: Brest, France

          Arrival Date: 4 Apr 1919

          Arrival Place: Boston, Massachusetts

          Address: 7 South Street

          Residence Place: Southbridge, Massachusetts

          Spouse: Gertrude C. Jackson

          Ship: Mount Vernon

          Military Unit: CO. E 101ST ENGRS.

          Rank: First Lieutenant

          Notes: COMPANY E 101ST ENGINEERS





          Elliot Schneider

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking service record for Henry Olin Jackson


            Thank you for your help. My father is still alive, but says he never spoke about the war with his father. He does have some service ribbons and I believe some dried flowers from the battle field in France. I will try to obtain some photos as they may reveal more of his record.


            Thank you!


            • Re: Seeking service record for Henry Olin Jackson
              Lisha Penn Ranger

              Dear Mr. Jackson,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              For information about Henry Olin Jackson, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


              The First World War selective service (draft) records (including the 4th registration) are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at altanta.archives@nara.gov.


              We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that contains information about the 101st Engineers (in Boxes 72-73), 26th Infantry Division.  We also located a series titled the Records of Engineer Regiments and Battalions, 1912 - 1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) in Boxes 2396-2397 (personnel) and in Boxes 2412-2413 (general orders & special orders). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


              We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for 1900, 1920 and 1930 in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29). Digital images of the 1900, 1920 and 1930 census records are not available in the Catalog yet for Massachusetts but are digitized and available on Ancestry.


              On Ancestry, we located his Birth Record; on the 1900 Census living with his parents and sister; on the U.S. Army Transport Service Passenger List; 1920 Census living with his wife Gertrude; 1930 Census as head of household and other items. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Some of the images from Ancestry sometimes are available on Family Search for free.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


              1 person found this helpful
                • Re: Seeking service record for Henry Olin Jackson

                  Thank you Lisha

                  I will apply for my grandfather's record using the information you have provided. I have also obtained a copy of a book published in 1919 specifically about Company E, 101st Engineers, that documents their journey from Boston to France and home again. My Grandfather is mentioned several times in the book. The book is available to anyone interested on Amazon in paperback for about $11. It is a very interesting and detailed account of a year on the front.