1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 7:07 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Information on Fort Belknap, Texas in the 1850s

Hello,

Berry Cox in Austin, Texas asking for your assistance if possible. I am trying to find information on Fort Belknap, Texas in the 1850s. In the 1850s it was US Army federal facility. In the 60s it went under Texas control and not Federal. The state archives in Texas has the detail records of the fort after the federal government turned it over to Texas: Quarter Master records, Personnel records, activities , etc but they have nothing for the years in which  I am interested. Can you direct me to where I might find the detailed records for the for the 1850s?

Regards,

Berry Cox

• Re: Seeking Information on Fort Belknap, Texas in the 1850s
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Cox,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Letters Received, 1805 - 1889 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1984 (Record Group 94) and located 23 file units pertaining to Fort Belknap during the 1840s & 1850s. We also located 8 series of War Department Western Division or the Department of Texas for 1840s & 1850 in the Records of U.S. Army Continental Commands (Record Group 393) but there was nothing specific about Fort Belknap. For access to the 6 textual series, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. For access to the 2 map series, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) via email at carto@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful