2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2019 9:41 PM by russell sylvia

Seeking information about  Army Motor Transport Corps, WWI

Carol I Gamble Newbie

My husband's Grandfather was a Captain in the Army Motor Transport Corps during World War I from approx. 1917-1919  What is this and where did he serve?

• Re: Seeking information about  Army Motor Transport Corps, WWI
          Jason Atkinson Tracker

Dear Ms. Gamble,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To determine what his unit was and his service record, please request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.

If you can identify the specific units that he was assigned to using the information in his OMPF, please post that information on History Hub so we can assist you further.

The Motor Transport Corps was a branch of the US Army responsible for design, production, procurement, maintenance, training, and other activities relating to Army motor vehicles.  We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a number of records relating to the Motor Transport Corps.  Some of the records have been digitized and can be viewed through the Catalog.  To access the records that are not digitized, contact the reference units listed in the Catalog description.

We also searched online and located  “70 Years of the Transportation Corps” by the US Army Transportation Corps historian, Manual of the Motor Transport Corps published in 1918 and prepared under the direction of the Director, Motor Transport Corps, A History of the U.S. Army Motor Transport Corps, and various other sources that provide information about the Motor Transport Corps.

Additional institutions which might be able to assist you in researching the Motor Transport Corps include the U.S. Army Transportation Museum and the US Army Quartermaster Museum.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information about  Army Motor Transport Corps, WWI
            russell sylvia Newbie

HI! i have a full pic of   motor transport corps.  the photo is real long but is torn in bunch pieces like a puzzle.

put together u can view whole pic. I spotted my  Great grandfather in the photo..the photo it self   is named

:motor transport corps provisonal operating  command no4 major  h.h lawson co  ::

seems only little bit missing on one piece.the image is huge.inserted just the bit of the name 

SO  carol   is  husband's Grandfather (Captain) in this photo is he H.H. lawsonname only of Motor Transport Corps