3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2019 2:41 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking graves of NC 29th at Gettysburg

Does anyone now what may have happened to the soldiers of the North Carolina 29th who died at Gettysburg on July 1, 1863?  I understand that they had a large number of casualties on the first day and those who were left were part of Pickett's charge on the last day.  Needless to say few were left of the original 26th.  I would really like to know if there is anyway possible to find out where they may be buried?  One of those men was my 3X Great-grandfather. ( His wife gave birth to their only son in March just before he joined up in April.  She died shortly after giving birth to my 2X great-grandfather.  He ended up being raised by other family.  He volunteered in WWI and in WWII but they refused him in due to his age!  LOL  He was a determined man. However, he did raise a large family and lived a long life. )

• Re: Seeking graves of NC 29th at Gettysburg
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Judy,

There are multiple resources that are available to obtain some records of the individual such as Fold3, or ancestry.com. Many of the muster rolls have been digitized. Do you have any more information on your ancestors.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Lawrence,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We contacted the Gettysburg National Military Park’s Park Library and Research Center and they have records that relate to your inquiry.  Please contact them via phone at (717) 338-4424, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.  

We hope this information is useful. Best of luck with your family research!

Elliot Schneider Navigator

Judy,

From information that I have found suggest that the NC 29th was not at Gettysburg at battles of Seminary Ridge nor the famous battle known as Pickets Charge. There are other NC units listed but not the NC 29th. Here is a snippet of information direct from the NPS.gov website here it is below.

29th Infantry Regiment, organized at Camp Patton, Asheville, North Carolina, in September, 1861, contained men from Cherokee, Yancey, Buncombe, Jackson, Madison, Haywood, and Mitchell counties. Sent to East Tennessee the unit was active in the Cumberland Gap operations. Later it was assigned to General Rains' and Ector's Brigade, and participated in the campaigns of the Army of Tennessee from Murfreesboro to Atlanta. The 29th then marched with Hood into Tennessee and ended the war at Mobile. It lost twenty-two percent of the 250 engaged at Murfreesboro and had 110 killed, wounded, or missing at Chickamauga. During the Atlanta Campaign, May 18 to September 5, it reported 6 killed, 58 wounded, and 87 missing, and at Allatoona thirty-nine percent of the 138 present were dsiabled. It surrendered in May, 1865. The field officers were Colonels William B. Creasman and Robert B. Vance; Lieutenant Colonels Thomas F. Gardner, James M. Lowry, Bacchus S. Profitt, and William S. Walker; and Major Ezekiel H. Hampton.