1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 9, 2019 2:43 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking POW info on my grandfather

To whom it may concern.

I'm seeking information about my grandfather and to clarify what happened to him during WWII. Since I've never met him I've a few information. For many years my family thought that he was interned in a German lager, but recently I've found a fragment of a document from the POW camp of Coltano (near Pisa, in Italy). That document attests that he was released from the POW camp on October 15, 1945. That's quite different from what his family had told us and is quite different from what we had found on his military records too (his military records, for example, didn't mention his imprisonment at all), so I'm seeking more information (if he was actually interned in the POW camp of Coltano, why and so on). The only information I have are:

Name: Agostino Galluzzi (but on the release document there is a mistake and the commander wrote "Agostino Galuzzi")

Date of birth: November 15, 1922

Place of birth: Santo Stefano Lodigiano (Province of Milan)

Date or release from the POW of Coltano: October 15, 1945

Thank you for your kindly attention.

Best regards,

Davide Galluzzi

• Re: Seeking POW info on my grandfather
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Galluzzi,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If he was a POW held by the United States, all personnel records of Italian prisoners of war have been returned to Italy.  For further information please write to the Ministero della Difesa-Esercito, Direzione Generale dei Servize di Commissariato e Amministrativi, Via XX Settembre No. 11, Rome, Italy or contact them via their website at https://www.difesa.it/Pagine/default.aspx.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful