1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 5, 2019 12:16 PM by Marene Baker

GLO Patent "Flipping?"

Hi. I am researching an Irish immigrant who purchased government land in 1848, but then signed it away to another non-relative within just a few months for a fraction of what he paid. This immigrant then bought the same number of acres (120) elsewhere in the same state (WI) about 8 years later.

Has anyone heard of such a scenario? Might there have been some kind of program where land purchases would be flipped or re-sold below cost as payment for learning how to farm, for example, or for any other reason unknown to me? I would welcome any referrals to more information.

Thank you.

• Re: GLO Patent "Flipping?"
          Marene Baker Adventurer

Using the term flipping, as least in what we think of as a modern term, probably isn't accurate.  Once homesteads were acquired either by proving them up or purchasing them outright the owner of the land could do with them as they please (within the law), as the land transferred from the Federal Government into their private ownership.  It was common for entrymen to sell or abandon homesteads.  The number of acres is laid out by the Homestead Law so that is not unusual regarding the size.  All of this being said there was fraudulent exchanges for  homesteads.   A really detailed explanation this can be found in History of Public Law Development by Paul W. Gate