3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 12:08 PM by Jane Bachiochi

How do I find an AR-2 file?

Jane Bachiochi Newbie

How do I find an AR-2 file?

• Re: How do I find an AR-2 file?
          Malisa Simco Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Bachiochi,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Alien Case Files (A-Files), 1944-2003 in the Records of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (Record Group 566). The series is searchable by first name and/or surname. The search results should include the title “Alien Case File for [name]” or “A-File for [name].”  If you locate a possible name match, please click open the entry and read the Scope & Content note. The note contains additional biographical information that will be helpful in determining whether the subject of the file could be a potential match to the individual you are seeking.  For any files of interest, check the “Location of Record” listed and email the NARA office cited to request more information and/or obtain a copy of the record. Learn more about A-Files by viewing NARA’s web pages at https://www.archives.gov/research/immigration/aliens.

If you are unable to locate any potential matches using the National Archives Catalog, then the file may not have been transferred to the National Archives. We suggest you continue your search with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program. USCIS maintains all A-Files (and a variety of other immigration/naturalization related file types) that have not been transferred to NARA yet.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Jane Bachiochi Newbie

Thank you, Malisa. I've done a search through the NARA catalogue of A Files and found no results for my grandfather.  I also requested a search through the USCIS Genealogy Program and they reported negative results. They are preparing a letter of Non-Existence to send to me.  I also requested a search for naturalization files through NARA in Boston and they found no results under all the spelling variants I gave them and they are also sending me a letter.  I emailed NARA in Kansas City and got a reply that they did a catalogue search and also found nothing. I think I have to assume that my grandfather never became a citizen and never registered as an alien in the 1940s or later on, though he did register for the WW I and WW II draft. The Italian Consulate in NY suggested looking for an AR-2 file but that would have been researched in my USCIS request.  As one last attempt I submitted a FOIA request but after that I have no idea where to look.

Thanks again for responding.

Jane

Jane Bachiochi Newbie

I wanted to let you know the results of my search for my grandfather's A-File.  I went through all the agencies NARA, USCIS, courthouses, Ancestry, fold3.....everywhere I could think of before I posted my question and also filed a FOIA request.  I was fortunate in that a researcher from the USCIS has been responding to all my questions about finding no results for the last few months.  Even though my index search didn't find any results, she researched my case on her own and DID find the A-File.  She explained that researchers have different methods and she has a few tricks she uses.  I am forever grateful to her and would like to acknowledge her resourcefulness.  Her name is Alisha (don't know if they use their real names) and she didn't just fluff me off as was my experience  with several others.

Thanks to Alisha!!!!!!!!!!

My lesson learned .....if at first

Jane