1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 9, 2019 11:13 AM by Malisa Simco

    Seeking Identity of Marine


      Is it possible to identify a Marine by his dog tag number? A dog tag found in a thrift store might be my husband's uncle. The name is correct but we need to be able to access the service record etc. If yes, please be detailed because I am new to research. Appreciate any help.

        • Re: Seeking Identity of Marine

          Dear Ms. Silveira,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          It is possible to identify a Marine by his dog tag number. If the dog tag dates from the Revolutionary war to 1958, we suggest you search Ancestry.com by using the “Search Military” option located on the homepage. Once there, enter any information you have and be sure to use the “Keyword” search space to enter “service number #______”  and compare the service numbers listed. If the dog tag is dated from 1959 to 1970, using the unit, year, and the name of your husband’s uncle, the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) can provide the service number from the muster roll and you can compare.


          Additionally, the National Archives at St. Louis has an index of Marines 1776-1972 that lists the names, service numbers, dates of birth and enlistment available to researchers in their research room. If visiting this location in person is not a possibility, please search the National Archives Catalog for Marine Corps Official Military Personnel Files (who separated prior to 1939) that have been digitized by using the 9 digit numerical value located on the tag  - ie 000xxxxxx. 


          If your search is unsuccessful, then you should request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1957 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          [Information provided by Holly Rivet and Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

          1 person found this helpful