1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 5, 2019 11:07 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking Ship to New Orleans, La.

Angela Chiavetta Newbie

On June 14, 1897 the ship Alsatia arrived in Ellis Island.  My g-grandmother and her children were on that ship.  Their destination was New Orleans, Louisiana.  I would like to know if the ship, Alsatia continued on to New Orleans, Louisiana with the passengers bound for that destination? 

If this ship did not continue on to New Orleans, how would these New Orleans, La. bound passengers get there from Ellis Island.  My g-grandmother Loreta Ognibene, age 39 had her 4 small sons were on that ship. I am at a loss on how they got from Point A to Point B.

Thank you for your input and help.

Angela Chiavetta

• Re: Seeking Ship to New Orleans, La.
          Lisha Penn Scout

Dear Ms. Chiavetta,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Alsatia sailed the Mediterranean to/from New York service only and therefore, would not have taken your family members to New Orleans. We suggest that you review the Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, 1820 - 1902 browsing page by page through the records from 1897 as necessary. The records are arranged by name of ship. For access to the passenger lists, please contact the National Archives at Fort Worth via email at ftworth.archives@nara.gov. For more background and research tips, please see the National Archives Immigration Records web page.

Please note that, historically, there were any number of ways an individual or groups of family members could have traveled from Ellis Island to their final destination. It is most likely that Loreta and her sons listed their final destination as New Orleans for the initial booking, but may have made prior arrangements for overland transportation with a third party service. Records or documentation for privately arranged overland transportation is not available or may no longer exist.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert