1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 28, 2019 9:18 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking records of Prague Liberation and US army

My father helped the US troops in 1945 on Czech territory as interpreter at the time weeks prior to the liberation of Prague. Yes the USSR troops liberated, but the US army was in that area according the records of my father. How can I verify whether my father's name is mentioned in the US army records?  FYI -- my father died in 1996 and I am reconstructing his WW2 story.

• Re: Seeking records of Prague Liberation and US army
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Zeeman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Czech citizens who served with the U.S. Army during World War II and during the occupation of

Germany and who were not officially inducted into the American Army were considered civilian

employees by the U.S. Government. Official Personnel Files (OPFs) and medical information for

individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1954 are in the

custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please

include full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if

applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of

Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-

programs/civilian-personnel-archival/index.html.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!