4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2019 9:45 PM by kraut21

Seeking TDY from 9th MAB Provisional Service Battalion

I enlisted in the USMC 1965 to 1969 (active duty) and was TDY from 9th MAB, Maintenance Company, Provisional Service Battalion on Okinawa to Republic of South Vietnam in 1967 and need proof that I was in Vietnam during that period.  My rank was E-5 SGT. I have a copy of my service jacket and it does not list my TDY assignments.

• Re: Seeking TDY from 9th MAB Provisional Service Battalion
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Titus,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Unit records in our custody do not include the record of temporary duty (TDY) assignments for individuals.  Under normal Department of Defense records management procedures, such documentation would be destroyed after initial administrative use.  A copy of these records should have been placed in your Official Military Personnel File.

We hope this is helpful.

2 people found this helpful

The request for my service records was a "MPR" request to the National Archives and Records Administration, is this the same as a request for "Official Military Personnel File"?  Failing this are there any other avenues open to me?  Thank You.

Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Mr. Titus,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

Service records and Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) are the same records. 

There are some other ways you might be able to search for information relevant to you. Marine Corps Muster Rolls and Personnel Diaries, 1/1941 - 12/1980 could be a good source of information.  However, we would have to know the unit you were from (9th MAB), the unit you were detached to, and the dates.  The information about the parent unit and the unit you were detached to are needed just in case one or the other fails to mention your departure from the parent unit and your arrival to your temporary duty unit.  The dates of your service will provide us with information which muster rolls should be checked. 

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

2 people found this helpful

The period that the TDY occurred fell between March 1, 1967 and November 20, 1967.  The unit was Maintenance  Company, Provisional Service Battalion, 9TH MAB FPO San Francisco located at Camp Courtney, Okinawa, during that time it was also known as SubUnit #1