1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2019 11:26 AM by Sylvia Naylor

    Seeking Service Records of American stationed in Wales


      Good morning from the UK,


      I’m trying to gain information regarding an American stationed in Wales, UK in 1944/45 I have a service number and believe he was sent to the UK following the assault at Anzio Beach. His Service number is 0-1823511 serving in Troop C 2nd Recon Squad, 149th Armored.(hope I got that right)

      I also know his name, but being English not sure of the process  on this site !!


      I guess I’m looking for service records. I know he was awarded the Purple Heart, so I’m guessing he was injured at some point. Thank you in advance

        • Re: Seeking Service Records of American stationed in Wales
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Mr. Burton,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The information you seek may be in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Or you may apply online at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful