7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2019 11:32 AM by nwyknicks

Seeking information on 3rd great grandparents.

My 3rd great grandparents were Isham Dublin/Doublin born in SC around 1835. He is listed on the 1900 census report in Sumter County Alabama with his  wife Sarah. I assume he died sometime between 1900 and 1910 because she is listed as widowed and living with her son William. I found a ss application claims index however there is no date and I can't view the records and I can't find and actual death certificate. I have the same issue with Sarah. I found a ss application claims index for her on ancestry but I can't find the actual death certificate. Her name is Sarah Dublin maiden name is Morse. It looks like she died sometime in 1920. Any ideas on how to find the actual death certificate for Sumter County Alabama

• Re: Seeking information on 3rd great grandparents.
          Henry Rosenberg Tracker

Social Security wasn't passed until 1935 so if they died before then there would be no SS records for them.

Henry

1 person found this helpful

Thank you,

So even if there is an application, there may not be a number issued. Also how does the ss number effect how a death certificates is issue.

When I try to order one from the vital website, they want the actual date.

Henry Rosenberg Tracker

According to Google, the first Social Security applications were filed in November 1936 so unless Sarah or Isham lived until then, it is unlikely they filed an application. I have looked on familysearch.org and the only later census I saw was 1900 which listed Isham and Sarah.

I saw a 1910 census but it listed her son as William Johnson so I believe it is not her. Have you tried contacting the county in which they lived to see who would have death certificates?

Also, is it possible they had moved?

Hi

William Johnson is her son. She had around 12 children, I only know of seven. William Johnson Jr, Albert Doublin, Forrest Doublin, Adeline Doublin, Francis Doublin, Mitchell Doublin  Eachand Narcissus Doublin.Each child had a different surname on their death certificate as her maiden name, however it appears that her maiden name may have been Morse/Morris. Her son Albert had a cousin living with him on one of the census reports named Cap Morris and on her daughter Adeline it also says Morris.

I can't find a way to upload a copy of their applications to this site but  I have one for Sarah and one for Isham. I found them on ancestry. It says 1936-2000 Social security application index.

Thank you

Henry Rosenberg Tracker

Your original question was about a death certificate. Have you contacted the county where she may have died?

Also, to attach a link to this site, first copy the address. Then, click on the link, the thing that looks like a 2 link chain in the response box at the top. It's next to the emoji symbol. When you click on the link, a dialog box will pop up with the beginning of an addreess, something like http:.  You have to erase that. Paste your link in the box and hit add. It will add it to your response.

Why are the last names different? Was she a slave? Was that a master's last name? From what you say, she and Isham were married and he appears in the 1900 census. Regardless, I don't want to get you off track.

Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Dublin,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you search the Alabama Center for Health Statistics Death Certificates. The state began filing death certificates in 1908 for persons who died in the state.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!