2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2019 8:33 AM by Michael McCracken

Seeking import duty records in 1904

Michael McCracken Newbie

I am trying to determine the duty on imported metal wares (completed objects like trays or lanterns, not raw materials) from England in 1904.  I'm having a hard time locating any duty schedules for that time period.

• Re: Seeking import duty records in 1904
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. McCracken,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you review the Statistical Abstract of the United States: 1904 published by the Department of Commerce and Labor in 1905. It may contain the amount of duty paid on various imports such as items made out of metal. The Abstracts also include what office the information was compiled for or where the data came from.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking import duty records in 1904
              Michael McCracken Newbie

Ms. Collier,

Thank you very much for the pointer to the Statistical Abstracts.  I'm digging though them and hope to get an answer there. 

This may get a little long, but I have a 1904 ledger from a US company I'm researching that shows duty paid on some decorative metal objects from England.  What I'm trying to determine is given the duty paid, how much were the objects valued at, since I can't find an entry for the actual purchase of the objects. 

Thanks again for your help.

Michael McCracken

Principal Research Scientist, Emeritus

Georgia Institute of Technology