7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2019 11:32 AM by Meredith Doviak

Getting locked out during transcribing

Brenda Kleager Wayfarer

I have two issues re:lated to transcribing for Citizen Archivists. The first I figured out, but it's still annoying. When I first sign in via the National Archives home page,  I get this message on the screen:

The first several times, I kept trying to log in again. Then I noticed the upper right ribbon that shows I am signed in. So why do I get the weird "Page not found. 404" message? When I click on my account name, I go right to my account. It's not a big deal since I've figured it out, but it's still annoying.

Second issue, which is beyond annoying: I often make time for a lengthy session when I have time to transcribe. I haven't timed it, but it's probably an hour - my best guess; could be more or less. Anyway, I do save fairly regularly during my session - I either save every 5-10 minutes or when I get to a natural stopping point. Then out of the blue (it could be very soon after I just saved), I get this message:

I certainly haven't been "inactive" if I've been transcribing for an hour. And, of course, I click on Save. Most of the time it doesn't save my work, and in fact I lose what I've typed in from my last save (or before?). Then I can't continue to transcribe unless I close what I've done and sign in again. Curious.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What can I do to prevent this? Thanks in advance!

Brenda

• Re: Getting locked out during transcribing
          Melissa Himes Adventurer

I have been dealing with the second problem for years.  I save my work every couple of minutes which really cuts down on the flow of transcribing and just adds more and more entries to our logs.   I sent a detailed email to Suzanne Isaacs on Feb. 11 2019 identifying the problem, the time it occurred, the transcription I was working on, my operating system, etc.  She sent it on to the developers.  Perhaps they need more examples?  

I have never had to close the program and sign in again.  JMO - but this happens when another transcriber enters into the same project.  Sometimes I work on the last page of  "don't leave me hanging" docs and try not to save for as long as possible.  That seems to cut down on the interruption message and you can get more work done.  But, it is disheartening to enter 90 words or more in a minute or two and "poof" they disappear with no warning! 

When this keeps happening time and time again, I close the program down and move on to another transcription website. 

The first problem has been popping up pretty consistently for the last few months.  It is very annoying. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            Meredith Doviak Adventurer

Dear Brenda,

Thank you for alerting us to these issues you experienced while transcribing in the Catalog.

With regard to the first issue about the 404 error message when already signed in, we are aware of this issue, and we are working to fix the message. We agree that this message is confusing, since as you noted, you are in fact already logged in! At the very least, we hope to change the message to confirm whether you are already logged in.

As for the inactivity message, and subsequent loss of work, we sincerely apologize for this. This certainly should not happen, and I have shared your report with our developers to further investigate the cause of this. I hope to have an answer for you shortly.

Thank you again for alerting us to these issues. We sincerely apologize for any confusion and frustration these issues have caused. We appreciate your work as a Citizen Archivist.

Sincerely,

Meredith

Marilyn Beasley Newbie

Hi, Brenda.  I can’t stop the “404” or the “Inactivity” messages from showing up, but I can help you save what you typed.  When you see the “Inactivity” message, touch the arrow pointing to the right on the page you are transcribing from.  You will get this message:  “Alert.  There are unsaved transcription modifications.  Do you want to save them now?”  Answer “Yes.”  You will immediately be brought to the next page of the document you were working on.  If you touch the arrow pointing left, you will see the page you were on, with all your work intact.  The “Inactivity” message will still show up, so “Close” out of the document, then go right back in at the page you were transcribing.  You can now continue transcribing that page, move to the next page, a previous page, whatever you want.  This doesn’t mean the “Inactivity” message won’t show up again, but you won’t lose your transcribing work.  Hope this helps.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  Brenda Kleager Wayfarer

Thank you for your time for responding to both issues. I do hope that your developers will be able to correct both concerns. 

In the meantime, please know that I'm finding the experience of transcribing very rewarding and fascinating. The project I'm working on (Civil War pension application of over 100 pages, including letters) reads like a novel. I can't wait to find out what happens next as I work through the documents.

Brenda

Sarah Cabbage Newbie

Meredith Doviak I just want to chime in and say that I've experienced the "locked out for inactivity" bug too.  Several times, on both Firefox and Chrome browsers.  It seems like the system doesn't recognize actively typing as activity, only hitting the save button, and I sometimes continue to see the warning immediately after hitting Save.  It's very frustrating when it happens and I've forgotten to hit Save as I go along and lose nearly an entire page of transcribing.