4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2019 7:47 AM by barbierjeff

    Looking for all documents about my grandfather Michael Laconche




      I am looking for all available documents about my grandfather Michael LACONCHE, born April 17, 1894 in New York, NY, and died in 1962 in Blois (France). On his birth certificate (which we have), he is named Michiele LACONCA, son of Pietro LACONCA and Catarina ALFARANO. On some documents, his name is spelled LECONCHE (in France, he was called Michel LECONCHE).


      • His brother Raymond LACONCHE was born in 1898 (no document found).
      • His mother died before 1902 (we found no information on the date or place of his death).
      • In 1910 he appeared on the census of Hartford, Connecticut, under the name of Michael LACONCHE. He lives there with his father who remarried.
      • Around 1913, Michael worked at Yellow Stone Park.
      • We have a 1914 postcard addressed to Michael LACONCHE, 4th Q.G. Alcatraz, California, and one from 1915, addressed to him at Panama Pacific Q.E. Guard Com D, San Francisco, California.
      • In 1916 he reportedly fought under General Pershing during the Mexican expedition against Pancho Villa.
      • In 1917, he went to fight in France in the 3rd Evacuation Hospital then he returned to the United States at the end of the war.
      • On September 13, 1920, he applied for a passport to return to France (we have the application form). He married my grandmother there in 1921.
      • During WWII, as an American national, he was imprisoned in Compiegne (France) and then repatriated in 1944 to the United States on the occasion of an exchange with German prisoners.
      • He then works at the United States Embassy in Belgium. He received, in 1945, the Belgian medal of Knight of the Order of the crown.
      • Finally, we have his pension number (C-6-319-886) but we do not know how to use it to retrieve information.


      Thank you in advance for your assistance.

      Best regards,

      Jean-François BARBIER

        • Re: Looking for all documents about my grandfather Michael Laconche
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

          Hello Jean,


          Do you know a  Joseph LeConti, I found something pertaining to your father but shows living with uncle at 1899 Bathgate Ave, Bronx NY.

          Dose any of this memory sound familiar.





          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for all documents about my grandfather Michael Laconche
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

            Dear Mr. Barbier,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Since he served in the military at various times, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


            His service with the Department of State and possibly, the National Park Service, should be recorded in his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/civilian-personnel-archival/index.html.


            For pension file information, we suggest that you contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) via the VA toll free number: 1-800-827-1000.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            2 people found this helpful