2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2019 3:44 PM by Melissa Himes

Do I spell out the word 'and' or use an ampersand as she did in her writings?

Brenda Sinclair Newbie

Sorry, I am new to this.

The letters I am transcribing contain ampersands instead of spelling out the word "and".  Do I spell it out or use the ampersand?

Thanks

• Re: Do I spell out the word 'and' or use an ampersand as she did in her writings?
          Melissa Himes Adventurer

This was the answer to the question in a past post:  

We always encourage Citizen Archivists to transcribe exactly what you see. We recommend using the ampersand symbol as you see it in the document. There is no need to add [and], since the ampersand is a standard symbol, and the word "and" would not be considered a consequential word while conducting a search for this record. 

Thank you for your work as a Citizen Archivist!

Suzanne Isaacs

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Do I spell out the word 'and' or use an ampersand as she did in her writings?
            Meredith Doviak Adventurer

Dear Brenda,

Thank you for your question, and for your work as a Citizen Archivist!

Another transcriber had a similar question, and we answered it here: Ampersand

But to answer your question directly, we would recommend using the ampersand symbol if that is what appears in the document. Since it is a standard symbol, and the word "and" would not be a consequential word while conducting a search for this record, we recommend transcribing it exactly as it appears in the document.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions as you contribute. Thank you for your work as a Citizen Archivist!

Sincerely,

Meredith

2 of 2 people found this helpful