1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2019 11:20 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking information from a passport

Anna Gianvincenzo Newbie

I have found the passport of an Italian ancestor of mine who arrived in Indiana, PA at the end of the 19th century. I am trying to know more about his story but I cannot find any information. He had a U.S. passport issued on July 11, 1928: does it mean that he had been naturalized? And would it be possible to find information about him using his passport number or his address?
      I would be glad if you could help me with my research.

• Re: Seeking information from a passport
          Lisha Penn Tracker

Dear Ms. Gianvincenzo,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you review NARA’s website at Passport Applications for background information about the passport process. To have received a U.S. passport in 1928, a person was required to be an American citizen. Although the passport number likely will not help with the search, knowing where your ancestor resided during his time in the U.S. can be extremely useful. If you know the city and state where he lived, we suggest you that you search for the National Archives facility that holds naturalization records from the Federal court(s) for that locality to determine if any records exist at National Archives Court Records.

We also suggest that you search the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census for Indiana, PA as a first start to narrow down the time frame in which his naturalization could have occurred. Please look for “Na” in the citizenship column which will indicate whether he had received US citizenship by that time period. The 1910 Census has been digitized and is available for free on the NARA catalog link above. 

Since Indiana County, PA has not been added to the Catalog yet for the 1920 and 1930 Population Schedules, digitized census records may be found for 1920 and 1930 using Ancestry. There may be a fee associated with using Ancestry but you may access the digital images at a NARA facility for free using a NARA PC. 

You may find research tips on Resources for Genealogists; and additional information about Italian emigration and immigration on Family Search and Italian Americans.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes]