6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2019 7:11 PM by Lynn McCreedy

Long inserts

Lynn McCreedy Newbie

How should we handle inserts that are more than a few lines, even pages long?

• Re: Long inserts
          National Archives Catalog Adventurer

Sometimes our records have strange attachments, inserted pages and text, and it is difficult to know how to transcribe them. There isn't one answer for this because there are so many possible variations.  We suggest you transcribe it the way you think is most logical.  Then insert any information to help guide the reader in brackets.

You are welcome to share an example here on History Hub and maybe together we can all help to give suggestions.

Suzanne Isaacs

Community Manager

1 person found this helpful
              Lynn McCreedy Newbie

Here is the url for the page with an X indicating an insert: https://www.loc.gov/resource/mss41210.mss41210-004_00536_00596/?sp=16&r=-0.047,-0.034,1.111,0.749,0

This is in Elizabeth Cady Stanton's draft of her speech, "Reconstruction," and the X is at the top of her page 27, between "condemnation." and "We" which begins the next sentence. No text of hers in any margin of that page to link to that X, but on the following document page (p 17) the text on the left is unnumbered, and the text on the right is numbered as page 28. So the text on the left seems to be the long insert. I transcribed those 2 pages as-is, only because the transcribed pages are saved and submitted page by page, and putting half of page 17's text on page 16 would mess with that. I think I should edit my work to put the insert where it goes, but do need to mark this non-standard transcribing somehow.

Lynn McCreedy Newbie

I have just encountered another long insert, and have found that the transcription system does not seem to allow me to continue an insert beyond the page where it starts. Each page must be transcribed, saved and submitted separately, so if an insert goes beyond a given document page, I can't even see what the continuation looks like until I have finished with that first page, or at least saved it. In this latest example, there is text on the first page that needs to come after the insert that continues on the next page: https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/elizabeth-cady-stanton-papers/Speeches-and-writings/mss412100080/mss412100080-22/

You can see that an insert is marked about 3/4 down on the author's page 20, the right hand side of the page, which is page 22 of the document. The text on the left side of this document page 22 is the insert, which continues on the left side of the next document page (doc p 23). What I need to be able to do, is to continue transcribing the insert's continuation *as if it occurred on doc p 22, not doc p 23*. Then I need to go back to the remaining text on doc p 22 (the author's p 20), and transcribe that as following after the insert, and on document page 20, where it in fact does occur. Instructions on how to do this would be appreciated.

Lynn McCreedy Newbie

I think I have solved this problem: I first transcribe the inserts as-is, where they are found, then save all the pages of transcription affected, then cut and paste the inserts where the author indicates they should go, and finally, add what I'm calling "transcriber's notes" in square brackets at the top of all pages involved. Save & submit for review; done.

1 person found this helpful
                          Lauren Algee Scout

Hi Lynn!

Our instructions about insertions are only meant to apply to "small insertions" occurring within the same page. Please only include transcription in the text box that comes from the image you are currently viewing. This is key to ensuring that the transcription text will match up with the digitized images when we import everything back into loc.gov. The key outcome of this project is page-level searchability. When someone searches for a word at loc.gov we want to get them to the image where it appears. You'll notice this is closely related to my response to another good question about page order (Page numbering in drafts),

Please also do not include any transcribers' notes (or any other editorial notes) within documents.  We want to make sure the transcriptions capturing only the content present in the page itself.

I truly appreciate your inclination to give the researcher all of the contextual information you have found, but we also need to be consistent in our goals and how we are delivering information.  This is not a scholarly editing project, which would be interested to recreate all of the author's original intent as it stretches across the archive as a whole.  Those are incredibly worthwhile endeavors, but not what we are pursuing at this time. Our hope and belief is that page-level text will meet many needs, including leading someone to a document they're interested in from which they will be able to parse the order as you have.

Thanks again for sharing this question!  I'm sure many other folks will encounter similar ones as they dig into this project.

Lynn McCreedy Newbie

I will undo my fixes, restoring the as-is transcription I originally had. Perhaps you might consider clarifying your instructions on inserts concerning length restrictions. It is understandable that all situations encountered in such a large project cannot be anticipated a priori, when setting up your parameters.